I woke up this morning feeling the urge to make breakfast special. I didn’t necessarily want to make scrambled eggs, nor did I want to just pour cereal in a bowl and call it a meal. So I said “You know what. I’m just gonna make muffins”.
I ended up making lemon poppy seed muffins. Lord, I did not regret it. These muffins will not disappoint you. A great and lasting lemon flavor is sure to be one of the main components leading you to make these muffins again and again!
I have a tutorial for this recipe over at my other blog Natural Winners (link here).
Here’s the recipe:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup plain or vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla yogurt)
- 1½ teaspoons lemon extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, line a muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine together the butter and sugar, add the eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and juice.
- Add the yogurt and make sure it’s combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate and get a creamy mixture but don’t over mix.
- Divide your batter evenly among the muffin liners and bake the muffins for about 18 to 20 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Cool and serve.