I love not having to stand around a hot stove for an hour to make a delicious and nutritious soup. If you’ve never invested in a slow cooker, I strongly recommend it. It only takes 5 minutes to put everything in it, and it cooks all day long, resulting in a perfect soup. One of my favorite soups to cook in the slow cooker is Broccoli and Cheese Soup.
It will definitely please anyone. Even the kids who think broccoli is the devil like this soup. I like to use broccoli from my garden to make it, so it cuts the cost of making the soup a bunch.
The cheese is the tricky part. Cheese costs so much these days, and the only way to get it for cheap is to own your own cow and make your own cheese. Where I’m from, I can’t exactly have a cow in my backyard, so it’s really helpful to grow my own broccoli or find some organic broccoli on sale at some place like Kroger.I really love this recipe. You’ll like it too because its so easy to prepare, a great way to get veggies into your kids, and its so good you’ll have your whole family lining up for seconds. It’s also great on a cool day or when you just don’t want something heavy to eat.
I use this Crock Pot to make all kinds of recipes that call for a slow cooker. It has never let me down and lasts a really long time.
Here’s the recipe:
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb. fresh broccoli, roughly chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, heat up the olive oil. Whisk in the flour a little at a time and mix well until it starts to bubble a bit.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken/vegetable broth, and then remove from heat.
- Pour the mixture into your slow cooker (I use a Crock Pot), and add the chopped broccoli. Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until the broccoli is completely cooked. Stir in the cheese 1 cup at a time, allowing it to melt completely before adding the other cup.
Leave a Reply