After one bite, you’re sure to fall in love with these crispy baked sweet potato fries. They’re a healthy and delicious snack that everyone is sure to love!
I’m just going to come right out and say it.
I am obsessed with sweet potato fries.
Actually, I think I’m obsessed with sweet potatoes in general. I mean, I have like 3 bags of them in my house (so roughly 37). I’ve never tried sweet potato fries from the store, or from a restaurant, since I hardly ever makes trips to the freezer or go out to eat. And anyways, the sweet potatoes fries you get from the store usually have all kinds of additives and preservatives that you can easily steer clear of by making them yourself.
You’re probably going to hate me for saying this, but when making sweet potato fries, there isn’t exactly a strict recipe you have to follow. BUT I did include a 3-4 serving recipe below so you can change it to suit your needs.
The process for making sweet potato fries is really stinking easy. First, grab a few sweet potatoes. One potato per person is a pretty good serving size. Wash the sweet potatoes, peel them (or leave the skin on), and chop them into fries. If you have a mandolin or fry cutter you can use that too. It’s okay if your fries don’t look magazine-worthy—they will still taste AMAZING!
The trick to getting crispier fries to thinly coat them with cornstarch before baking (I recommend organic cornstarch). Some people have success without the cornstarch but it has worked for me every time so that’s what I recommend.
These sweet potato fries are crispy, a tad spicy, a little sweet, and QUITE addictive. You’ve been warned.
One thing I wanted to mention is that if the ends of some of the fries appear to be burning DON’T FREAK OUT. I promise it will taste more sweet and caramelized than burnt.
Once you get the basics of making sweet potato fries, you’ll be making oceans of sweet potato fries, in all different flavors.
You are going to love these homemade sweet potato fries because they’re cheap, nutritious, super easy and simple, and downright delicious. Say hello to your new favorite snack!
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or oil of choice)
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of salt (plus more for sprinkling)
- A dash of cayenne pepper, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and set aside.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into fries with either a sharp knife, a mandolin, or a fry cutter. Place the fries in a gallon-sized bag and drizzle in the olive oil. Seal the bag and give it a shake to coat all of the fries in the oil.
- Add in the cornstarch, chili powder, pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper if using. Give the bag another shake and then transfer the fries to the prepared baking sheet. Try to make sure the fries aren't stacked on top of each other, so put them all in an even layer. (You may need two pans.)
- Sprinkle with extra salt if desired and place the pan in the oven for 25-30 minutes, flipping the fries about half through the cooking time.
- Take them out of the oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes before eating. Not only will this keep you from burning your taste buds into oblivion, but it will also give the fries another chance to crisp up.
- Serve with ketchup, or by themselves!
Be on the look out for more sweet potato recipes in the next few days! ♥