I remember when I was 7, my older siblings, my parents, and I went on a vacation to the Florida Keys. We had an absolute blast. But on the 12 hour car ride (yes, car ride) there, we stopped at a McDonald’s for breakfast one morning.
I’m not sure what my parents ordered for themselves, but they ordered breakfast burritos for us, the children. All I remember is taking one bite and wanting to throw up. The car was hot and stuffy, after all. Is McDonald’s to blame or our current circumstances?
Homemade breakfast burritos are absolutely delightful. Especially when you use homemade tortillas, fresh vegetables, and top-quality sausages. They can’t be beat and always satisfy. If you have homemade tortillas in the freezer, put them in the refrigerator to pull out the next morning. It makes the process go so much faster!
Let’s get started!
Crack a bunch of eggs into a bowl. Depending on how many burritos you plan on making, one egg per burrito is a good rule of thumb.
Now whisk those eggs until completely combined.
Toss in a couple of spices that you like. I used parsley, freshly ground black pepper, and sea salt, but you can use anything else you want.
Now whisk it all up.
Pour the egg mixture into a cast iron pan. You can use any other frying pan you’ve got, but it’s the trusty old cast iron for me!
Now roughly chop up some onion and…
Toss it into a frying pan along with a tablespoon of butter. Because butter makes the world go round.
Throw in some slices of bell pepper and some sausage.
Let it cook. Now we’re ready to make the breakfast burritos!
Here’s the recipe:
- 16 whole wheat tortillas
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- ⅓ lb. pork sausage
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and give them a good whisking. Add the parsley, pepper, and salt. Whisk again.
- Pour eggs into a cast iron frying pan and scramble them to your desired cookness.
- In another cast iron frying pan, saute the peppers and onions. Toss in the sausage and crumble. Cook until sausage is completely done.
- For assembly, place a tortilla on a plate. First put on the eggs, then the veggies and sausage, and finally top with cheese. Fold or roll however you want and enjoy!
Leave a Reply