Today I knew I wanted to make muffins. It was on the menu plan after all, yet I was unsure about which kind of muffin to make. I forgot to freeze local berries this summer, so blueberry, strawberry, and mixed berry muffins were out of the question. So then I went over to 100 Days of Real Food and looked at a few choices. After a tough decision (and a cup of coffee), I figured I would make whole wheat pumpkin muffins.
Let me just tell you, I made an amazing decision.
Not only are these muffins whole wheat, they’re also made with honey—a natural sweetener. I love using honey in muffins because it gives them a honey-like essence. I always to try to use local honey that still has the pollen in it, for health reasons.
You are going to love these whole wheat pumpkin muffins because they are easy to prepare and you can have a healthy breakfast ready on the table in less than 30 minutes. They are also insanely soft, fluffy, and moist. They have such a light crumb and a delicious texture and taste that can’t be beat. It’s rich pumpkin flavor will have you and everyone else coming back for a fourth muffin!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves (so like three pinches)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (except for the pecans, if using).
- Make a hole in the center and toss in the eggs, oil, honey, and vanilla. Stir together thoroughly , but do not overmix.
- Fold in the pumpkin puree and pecans (if using).
- Put muffin liners in a muffin pan and disperse the batter among the muffin cups. (If making pumpkin bread, generously grease a loaf pan and pour batter in.)
- Bake the muffins for 18 – 22 minutes and for a loaf, bake for approximately 30 – 40 minutes. Check for doneness by making sure a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let muffins cool for 2 minutes before serving. Let loaf sit at least 30 minutes before cutting.