These sweet, salty, and spicy chipotle sweet potato black bean tacos are a simple and delicious meal. Topped with a tangy chipotle crema dressing, you’re sure to love these delicious tacos.
I have always been a taco kind of girl.
I would eat tacos everyday of my LIFE if I could. But until a couple of days ago, I had only ever tried a “regular” taco—beans, meat, cheese, lettuce—the whole shabang.
I’ve never had sweet potato in a taco before, but after remembering how fabulous and tasty last week’s sweet potato fries were, I kinda wanted to try something different. I mean, the sweet/salty/spicy combo was pretty dang good, so I figured—why not improve on a flavor combo I KNOW will taste great?
The result was taco perfection.
Not only are these tacos heavenly, they’re also ridiculously easy to make. All you have to do is cook the sweet potatoes, crack open a can of black beans, prepare the chipotle dressing, and start assembling!
I’m sure you love tacos as much as I do. It’s a well known fact that they’re the most delicious and satiating food in the world.
I mean, seriously.
The tangy chipotle crema dressing is super easy to make. Just mince a chipotle pepper (in adobo sauce) and combine it with fresh lime juice and sour cream.
You can add salt to taste, but it isn’t necessary.
“I use to say tacko, until it was beaten out of me.” <–Name that show
Apparently Australians are confused about the pronunciation of the word taco. (Check it out here)
No matter how you pronounce it, these chipotle sweet potato black bean tacos are a healthy and delicious meal that everyone is guaranteed to love. Kids? Check. Husbands? Check. Girlfriends? Check-a-rooni.
These are probably the best tacos I’ve ever had, like ever.
When the sweet potatoes are cooking in the cast iron pan, stir them every couple of minutes to keep them from burning. If they do burn, don’t worry—they’ll taste more caramelized than burnt.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ small onion
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- ½ cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (or milk)
- juice from one small lime
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 small flour or corn tortillas
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Cut into bite-size cubes.
- In a cast iron frying pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Toss in the cubed sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, and garlic powder. Stir to combine and let cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a fork can go through one with little to no resistance. Remove from heat.
- Finely dice the onions and set aside.
- Mince the chipotle pepper. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, minced chipotle pepper, and minced garlic. Stir to combine.
- Assemble the tacos in this order: tortilla, sweet potatoes, black beans, onion, chipotle crema dressing. Serve with pico de gallo (or salsa) and chips.
Katrina S. says
You had me at Taco’s! I too am a taco girl and could eat them a lot more than once a week. This will definitely be a recipe that we add to our list of must tries!!
Krayl @ An Appealing Plan says
DONE! These will be a big hit for a party we are hosting on Friday. I love the veggie options with full flavor!
These tacos look delicious! I had to pin them to my Vegetarian Entrees board on Pinterest … can’t wait to try your recipe. Thanks for posting this!
What an interesting combination! They look wonderful!
Heather @ Divas Run for Bling says
These look fabulous! I would have never thought to put sweet potatoes in the tacos (which I love by the way). I will have to try this soon!
Artney @ My Pretty Brown Blog says
I never would have thought to put sweet potatoes in a taco, but they look amazing! The tangy chipotle crema dressing sounds yummy!
I don’t eat tacos very often because it just never occurs to me but I could eat these all the time! Love the flavours you’ve put together here, Margaret and your photos are beautiful! Sign me up!
Marissa | Pinch and Swirl says
These tacos look hearty and delicious!
Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits says
Oh my gosh, caramelized sweet potatoes in tacos–the ultimate comfort! These look great, Margaret Anne!
Michelle @ Healthy Recipe Ecstasy says
Tacos make me so happy – I could eat them every night! But I’ve never tried sweet potato tacos. I gotta get on it ASAP because you make it look delish!
I love Taco myself and this one sounds so healthy and yummy! Can’t wait to try out soon