These brussels sprouts and eggs are a simple and savory breakfast you can make in less than 10 minutes, perfect for busy mornings!
I’m all about food that requires minimal energy and ingredients.
Sure, coffee cake is irresistible and yummy and all that, but unless it’s a special occasion, you can assume I’m not going to wake up two hours early to make breakfast. It’s just not going to happen.
So any recipe with less than five ingredients (minus spices because we all know those don’t actually count) that requires little effort is right up my alley. Hence these breakfast brussels sprouts and eggs.
I know what you’re gonna say, “Margaret, you could literally just make eggs…” And I mean I could, but ya girl is out here trying to eat clean and get some veggies in her system in a way that doesn’t make her want to gag. And I’ve always loved brussels sprouts, so this recipe is more of a meal than just fried or scrambled eggs.
These breakfast brussels sprouts and eggs are my go-to most mornings of the week, especially last semester. I had 8:30 am lectures 4/5 weekdays, so I would alternate between this recipe and my favorite granola recipe that I would make ahead of time.
That other 1/5 day of the week, I’d usually sleep in so late breakfast wasn’t even an option anymore.
For this recipe, you can either quarter or halve the brussels sprouts, depending on how long you have to cook breakfast. Halved brussel sprouts take a little longer to cook.
So I usually just quarter the big ones and halve any little guys.
Let’s talk seasonings.
My preference of spices is garlic powder, cayenne pepper. ground black pepper, a little dried oregano, and sometimes I’ll add a dash of onion powder.
If you make the recipe and decide that combination just isn’t for you, by all means change it up. This recipe can be easily customized to fit your taste!
I think my favorite thing about these breakfast brussels sprouts are the flavors that come to life with a little sauteing and spices.
Brussels sprouts as a vegetable are SO underrated.
These little guys are just out here trying to make your breakfast routine simpler and tastier. They deserve more love and appreciation.
Here’s the recipe:
- 8 oz. fresh brussels sprouts, rinsed and dried (about 10 sprouts)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil or salted butter
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Quarter the brussels sprouts and set aside. In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat vegetable oil.
- Add brussels sprouts to pan and season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Let cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep sprouts from burning.
- Push the sprouts to one side of the pan and crack eggs into skillet. Season and cook as desired, cooking thoroughly. Once eggs are fully set, transfer to a serving plate.