There’s nothing that gets me in the summer mood like a beautiful summer squash salad. I love making simple meals in the summertime that don’t heat up the house, and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone on that. This colorful summer squash salad is great for those you have to eat gluten-free diets because there are no noodle in it. Although they may look like noodles, they’re actually thin strips of zucchini and squash! Cool, huh? The best part is that this simple summer dish will stun your friends when they see how beautiful and colorful this salad really is.
One of the things you’ll need for this recipe is a julienne slicer. Luckily, you can order one for only ten bucks here. Best ten bucks I ever spent.
I was able to pick up a bunch of down zucchini, squash, and radishes this weekend, and I was so excited at the thought of what I would make with them. When I found this recipe, I knew it was perfect!
The kids really loved helping me make this simple summer dish. I let them cut the radish disks (I cut the radishes into disks) in to matchsticks with a butter knives and paring knives. The older kids (10 -12) used the paring knives and thank God no one cut themselves. But I guess I didn’t have that much to worry about. I’ve trained them well.
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 cups julienned zucchini
- 4 cups julienned yellow squash
- 2 cups sliced radishes
- ½ cup neutral oil of your choice
- ⅓ cup organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, squash and radishes. Toss until it looks evenly distributed. I usually use gloved hands. It seems to work a little better.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients, being sure to scrape the sides.
- Pour the mixture over vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. It will taste even better the next day.