A super simple one pan meal ready in less than 15 minutes! These undeniably delicious quesadillas are a great vegetarian lunch or snack.
I don’t consider myself a very great cook.
I’m a great baker (not to toot my own horn), but when it comes to cooking a meal with more than 10 ingredients, I start to panic and lose my mind.
Surely you know what I mean. Cooking can be pretty intimidating at times. Especially if you didn’t inherit your mom’s cooking genes.
That’s why I love these smoked Gouda veggie quesadillas. You don’t have to be the most experienced cook to whip out an amazing meal in less than 15 minutes. If that were the case, we’d be in a lot of trouble.
I went to the grocery store a few days ago and tried to find tortillas that weren’t loaded with preservatives, MSG, or shortening. Mission impossible.
So I went to check the refrigerated section and you wouldn’t believe what I found—uncooked tortillas! Sounds a little weird, I know. But they comprised of only five ingredients: wheat flour, water, canola oil, salt, and sugar.
They weren’t organic or anything, but they were cheap and saved me from having to make tortillas. I mean, 18 uncooked tortillas for only $3.28? Um, yes.
So, I cooked those up and used them for these quesadillas. It took a little bit longer (since I had to cook the tortillas, which took a couple of minutes) but if you’re using tortillas that are already cooked, it takes hardly any time at all to have a delicious vegetarian lunch or snack.
The best part about these quesadillas is that there isn’t any specific recipe you need to follow. Just saute your favorite veggies, shred some Gouda cheese (or any other cheese of your choice), place the cheese and veggies between two tortillas, and cook it in a frying pan.
But, since I love you guys, there is a recipe below to help guide you through the process.
I love the flavor that using smoked Gouda cheese lends to the quesadillas. It adds more depth than if you had used a milder cheese, like mozzarella, and has a much nuttier taste.
I’m sure you guys are going to love this easy, 15-minute meal.
- ½ small red onion
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- sour cream and salsa, for topping
- Dice the onion and slice the bell pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms and cook until tender. Transfer cooked vegetables to a small bowl.
- In your skillet, heat ½ tablespoon of butter. Place one tortilla into the pan, top with Gouda cheese and sauteed veggies, and top with another tortilla. Press on the top tortilla to allow the melted cheese to adhere to the top tortilla. Carefully flip the quesadilla over, and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining toppings and tortillas. Slice into wedges and serve with sour cream and salsa.