I’m kickin’ into full fall mode. The shift from summer food to fall food was an easy one for me, partly due to the fact that I love the heck out of every soup known to man.
So to start out the season right (even though it’s still 83 degrees outside), today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite soup recipes. It’s really easy to make because all you have to do is toss a bunch of ingredients in a slow cooker and walk away. Does this scream “best dinner in the world” to anyone else?
If you like chili, you will love this black bean and lentil soup. It tastes almost exactly like traditional chili, but it’s 100% meat free and is a great way to sneak in veggies to the picky eaters in your house.
You may or may not know this, but I despise cooked tomatoes. With a passion. Just, ew. But since this soup is cooked in a slow cooker for several hours, the tomatoes start to fall apart and become one with the soup. Which makes this soup great for tomato haters.
I have a 6-Quart Crock Pot and I love love love it! I use it for every slow cooker recipe and love how great it works.
At first, I was a little hesitant to try this soup because I wasn’t sure if me or my family would like it. But, guys, my hands have been so full the past few weeks, with school starting up and what not, and getting dinner on the table on time has been a challenge. A BIG challenge. I don’t want to make eating dinner at 8 p.m. a habit.
So I knew I had to give this black bean and lentil soup a shot. And I’m so glad I did. It’s cheap, easy to make, and the best part…you don’t have to stand around in the kitchen for an hour. I can start it at the same time I start lunch (we homeschool), and it’ll be done by 5 p.m.
This recipe does make 8 servings (or 12 cups), and this might seem like too much for your family to eat in one sitting. But this black bean and lentil soup makes great leftovers and freezes very well, so you can whip it out whenever you need a quick meal.
Here’s the recipe:
- ½ lb. bag dry lentils
- ¼ lb. dry black beans
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 5 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse lentils and black beans. Discard any small pebbles or bad beans. Pour them into the slow cooker. Add the onions, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, cumin, chili powder, parsley, and hot water to your slow cooker.
- Place your lid on top, and cook on HIGH for 6 hours. Try not to open your slow cooker or stir the soup.
- Remove the lid, and add the salt and pepper to taste. Mash the soup into a thicker mixture if desired. Serve hot. The soup will be very thick, almost like chili. Garnish with sour cream, fresh parsley, or cheddar cheese.