This Southwest Chicken Quinoa Bowl is so easy to make and is a healthier take on a classic Southwest recipe!
The first time I ever tried quinoa I hated it.
Everyone I heard talking about quinoa had nothing but good things to say about it, but there was something definitely off with the quinoa I tasted. It was very bitter, and I had to force myself to swallow it.
Turns out, though, that when quinoa isn’t washed and prepared properly it retains a bitter taste from a natural substance called saponin. But with thorough rinsing, quinoa has a neutral, nutty taste.
That’s why I love truRoots quinoa—I don’t know if they pre-rinse it, but their quinoa blends never have that bitter taste, which saves me time (since I don’t have to thoroughly rinse it). Their Organic Sprouted Quinoa Blend is so versatile and super easy to incorporate into recipes like this one.
So let’s talk about this southwest chicken quinoa bowl: it’s a one pan recipe, it’s full of nutrient-rich ingredients, and it’s super easy to make! I don’t know about you but I LOVE Southwest anything.
And this quinoa bowl is the perfect comfort food for fall and winter!
I hope you guys love this yummy quinoa bowl as much as I did.
Also, did you know that you can get 30% off truRoots products when you purchase through the Cartwheel app by Target? I stocked up on all my favorites because how can you not take advantage of a deal like that, I mean, c’mon! So definitely check that out!
Here’s the recipe:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup truRoots Organic Accents Sprouted Quinoa Trio (or just regular quinoa)
- 1 cup chicken broth, diced
- 1 (15 oz.) black beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup corn
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lime
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the diced chicken breast into the skillet and cook until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Add in the minced garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, chili powder, quinoa, chicken broth, black beans, diced tomatoes, and corn.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Add in the avocado and cilantro and stir. Top with cilantro, lime wedges, and sour cream.